Earwig Pest Control
Earwigs can cause annoyance or nuisance because of their presence and the noticeable foul odor they emit when disturbed. Spotted an Earwig in your home? H2 Environmental Pest Management has devised effective pest management techniques that eliminate earwigs from your home or commercial property.
How does Earwig looks like?
Most earwigs are flattened with an elongated body generally 7–50 millimetres in long. A pinch from an earwig can hurt.Be aware that earwigs live in the ground and they can come in contact with harmful bacteria. If you have an open wound that is exposed to earwigs make sure to apply anti-bacterial cream.
How do Earwigs enter your home?
If you have holes that have been formed by wood-destroying organisms earwigs will use those holes to enter your home. And, if your home is being damaged by water overflow from a broken or obstructed gutter system, earwigs will take advantage of this as well.
Common places inside your house where Earwigs might live
Earwigs are usually found indoors in cracks and crevices near moisture, such as in house plants, in stacked newspapers, under carpeting that gets wet, in under-sink cabinets or around baseboards in kitchens and bathrooms.
Common Types of Earwigs
The most common type of earwig that people of U.S spot in their homes.The forceps of male earwigs in this species are long and curved as compared to those of the female. The forceps are used for protection and mating.
Striped Earwigs are identified by their light tan color and their modified forceps. They are called striped earwigs because they have two, dark, longitudinal stripes across their length
Red-legged Earwigs are identified by the brown bands on their yellow legs. It is not native to North America but is very commonly seen in the southern region of the U.S. Red-legged earwigs are dominant in Florida.
How to avoid Earwigs from entering your home?
- Keep your home as dry as you can. Earwigs loves moist places.
- Seal holes, gaps and cracks you find in your home using liquid cement or a caulking gun for a quick fix.
- Install fans or dehumidifiers to reduce the amount of moisture inside your home.
- Check your indoor plants in the pots regularly.Trim back vegetation from around your home.
- Have a professional pest control company to apply pest control methods to strategically resolve the problem.
Facts about Earwigs
- They’ll fiercely protect their young ones.An earwig can lay dozens of eggs at a time and the mother will devote her time to protecting the eggs.
- They don’t use their wings even they are capable of flight, earwigs might surprise you with their lack of time in the sky.
- There are a variety of earwig species.There are over 1,000 species of earwigs around the world, and a little over 20 types here in the United States.
- They’re omnivores.From composting leaves to garden plants to arthropods, earwigs vie for a variety of snacks.